CONNECT

Review: Island Basics Body Scrub

Hello! Have you decided what gifts you're gonna give to your friends this Christmas? I have another suggestion for you :)

I recently got to try some products from Island Basics. Island Basics is a local brand that produces and sells all-natural and locally made bath and body products for reasonable prices. All natural. Locally made. Two good reasons to try out the brand, eh? For more information about the brand, check out their Multiply site *here.*

One of the products I was able to try out was the Island Basics Strawberry & Licorice Skin Lightening Body Scrub. After trying out the Body Recipe body scrub (which I loooove), I became more interested in body scrubs. As I said before, exfoliation should be part of everyone's skin care routine. Body scrubs help scrub off dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. Exfoliation helps get rid of old flaky skin and helps bring out that smooth, soft and healthy-looking skin. 



Description (from Island Basics): Indulge in a relaxing and cleansing treatment with our extensive selection of body scrubs. Made with apricot seeds, it gently exfoliates and removes deep seated dirt. It also contains virgin coconut oil or olive oil and Vitamin E to moisturize the skin. 

Ingredients: Virgin coconut oil, Vitamin E, apricot seeds, strawberry essential oil, licorice extracts.


One of the things about this that caught my attention was the 'strawberry licorice' part. I guessed the product would smell good. And I was right. This scrub has a pleasant smell that's not too strong or overpowering.

As you can see, the scrub beads are obviously there. Compared to the Body Recipe body scrub, this scrub has a bit thicker texture and the scrub beads are more gentle. This is very easy to apply and spread onto the skin, and the lotion part of the products gets absorbed into the skin quickly.


I use this body scrub three times a week. I massage the product gently onto my skin after cleansing and let it sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing.

And it really is effective! My skin does become smoother and softer every time I use this. As for the skin lightening effect, I haven't notice any changes in my skin or maybe I'm just not really paying attention. Skin lightening isn't one of my major concerns right now, so I'm not so interested in the lightening property of this product.

Thumbs up:
  • Makes my skin soft and smooth
  • Keeps my skin looking healthy and doesn't leave my skin dry even if I don't apply lotion after usage
  • The scrub beads are gentle and not harsh on my skin at all
  • Has a pleasant smell
  • Doesn't irritate my skin
  • Affordable - Priced at P150 for 100g of product
  • Many variants available

There's nothing much that I hate about this product. It's a pretty good body scrub. The Body Recipe scrub is still my favorite, though, because that gives me softer and smoother skin than when I use this Island Basics one. But since this is more gentle, I can use it more often. If you're into all-natural and gentle scrubs, then this one is for you! It makes a great gift as well, I think :)

One thing you need to remember about this is that it doesn't contain the common preservatives that can be found in most body products so you need to consume this within a year after you open it. I doubt that this will last you a whole year. I'm sure you're gonna finish the whole thing up in no time! But still, always keep the lid tightly closed. Avoid getting the product wet and use a spatula (instead of your fingers) when scooping the product out to avoid bacterial contamination.

Variants available:
  • Green Tea and Olive
  • Decadent Dark Chocolate
  • Wheatbran and Almond
  • Strawberry and Licorice (shown above)
  • Mango and Papaya
  • Sea Kelp
  • Lavender and Tea Tree

I use the Island Basics Body Butter after exfoliating for that really soft and smooth skin.


If you are interested in these products, you may order them online through Island Basics' site *here.* Now is the best time to order Island Basics products! From November 2011 to January 2012, Island Basics will be giving away P1.00 per item sold to the "Piso para sa KMBI" project. KMBI (Kabalikat para sa Maunlad na Buhay Inc.) is a development organization whose goal is to help transform the lives of its clients by providing sustainable microfinance, training and non-financial services. The donations that will be collected will be added to KMBI's funding for different environmental initiatives and projects that have already been started by KMBI members. Such projects include recyling, gardening and tree planting, site clean-ups and waterways declogging. Show your support and help provide jobs and education to fellow Filipinos by buying Island Basics products :)

For more information about Island Basics and KMBI, visit the following links.


Disclaimer: Product was sent by the company for review but the views and opinions expressed in this post are purely mine and based on my own experience with the product.

Comments

  1. I have the Green Tea and Olive of this Body Scrub. I love the fact that they're organic and inexpensive pa. Yeah, you don't need the whitening part, maputi ka na naman teh. The exfoliating part is definitely necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. parang masarap kainin lahat ng scrubs and lotions nila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that that variant is their bestseller! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love body scrubs! One of my faves is the Lulur Asian Secrets. This loks promising though! 

    By the way, I'm hosting a giveaway. Sana you could join.. =) New follower here.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Julie Ann! I'm just about to try the Asian Secrets one :D

    Just leave me the link so I can join :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I will reply to you as soon as I can :)