CONNECT

Review: Bobbie Base Coat

Hi everyone! Sorry for being missing in action this past week. I'm just really really busy studying for my board exam which is just 2 months away. My current schedule: AM - study; PM - work. I can't seem to squeeze blogging in my new sched and that explains the lack of posts. Anyway, I'm back for a moment and I have for you here a review of a nail product that I use.

I'm sure you all know how much I love nail polishes. I almost don't see my nails bare for more than a day anymore. The downside to that is the staining. Yes, nail polishes can stain the nails. Some brands of polish stain more than others. Some shades stain more than others. Right now I don't know if there's a way to completely keep the nails from being stained but I do know a way to reduce any staining that may occur. This is where base coats come in.

A base coat acts as a protective barrier between your nail bed and the polish, and it helps prevent the polish from staining your nail. It also smoothens out the nail surface and fills in any creases and ridges so that the polish would go on smoothly. Some base coats even contain ingredients that can help strengthen your nails and pervent them from chipping and being damaged.

The first and only legit base coat I've used is the one from Bobbie. 


It's a legit base coat, as written on the label.


Ingredients: Ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, toluene, nitrocellulose, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, dibutyl phthalate, polyvinyl butyral, benzophenone-1.

It's not free of the so-called 'toxic trio' of nail polish ingredients but it says on the label that the product is "toxin-free." Read *this post from All Lacquered Up* to know more about the toxic trio.

One bottle contains 15 ml of product. The liquid has a yellow tint as you can see in the pictures but it goes on clear. 

I've been using this one for months now and I still get yellow nails from time to time, depending on the nail polish that I use. For me it's a little bit effective. I change my polish every week and here are my observations. Sometimes I use a strongly staining polish and after one week of wear, my nails are stained big time. Then I use the base coat and apply my next polish. After one week, the stained part of the nail moves up as the nail grows and the whole nail doesn't stay yellow. 

Here's an eeekkk-worthy picture of my stained nails.

Click to enlarge. Beware, though. Yellow nails, eeekkk!
This shows that the base coat does help reduce staining up to some extent but if the nail polish used is strongly staining, there's no escape. (Note that I was already using this base coat even before I took the before-pic but I still got a bad stain.)

Pros:
  • Dries quickly. It dries in about a minute.
  • Easy to apply.
  • Doesn't turn goopy even after many months.
  • Inexpensive. I forgot the exact price. I think it's in the P35-45 range.
  • Widely available. Available in most supermarkets and drugstores.

Cons
  • Contains the 'toxic trio'
  • Cheap packaging
  • Doesn't work very well when the nail polish used is strongly staining.
  • Says toxin-free on the label when it's actually not toxin-free.

I don't know why I still use this product. Maybe because I find it wasteful to buy a new one and throw this away. I'm planning to buy a new (and hopefully a better) base coat, though. Any suggestions? How's the Etude House Jelly top coat and the TFS top coat? :]

Comments

  1. eeek tlga!!u have yellowish nails sis like me din!:) i want to try the whitening thingy sa cutex pero its a bit pricey pero worth nmn daw.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sounds of 'many harmful chemicals' doesn't sound too good.. Be careful hun xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only top coat I have is the one from wet n wild. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my.. you should try the Face shop base coat and top coat. It dosn't make my nails yellow. I've tried caronia and bobbie during my college days, and yes it always give me the yellowy nails.

    Take care hun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-| basta don't buy the caronia one!!!! So not nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Gie, right? I'm planning to stop using nail polishes muna hanggang mawala yung stain. Yeah I've heard of that. Will check that out. Sana nga effective :)

    @Rakhshanda, thanks dear:)

    @Popblush, right?! And they put on the label "toxin-free" O_O My my my.

    @Hollie, no prob dear. hope you found it helpful :]

    @Diane, thanks for the suggestion! I'm using TFS top coat and quite happy with it. Will get their base coat next :) Right! Local brands stain big time no? :/

    @Mitch, thanks for the warning! I think Imma get the TFS one. Sana it's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. me too aya! i stop painting my nails..coz of that stain..poor nails huhuhu, im using CHIC base coat..well,same result like BObbie,im kinda busy so i guest ill have to use BObbie as of now.. :-)
    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why don't you try the caronia base coat and top coat. Mas OK siya...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chie, I guess we should invest in a really really good base coat, esp since we like nail polishes very much...

    @Sweet, but I heard it's not good din daw? Idk, I'm kinda weary of trying out local brands na kasi their polishes stain big time... so I don't know if their base coats could cope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aya paints her nails at dawn. :P i haven't tried this i'm just too lazy to do my nails but if ever i find the kasipagan to do my nails will keep this in mind hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ur right sis...ano kya maganda gamitin...sabi ng friend ko hindi daw maganda ang caronia base coat eh,na try na nya kasi yun...

    ReplyDelete
  12. TSF top coat is quite good aya :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sugar, mwahaha. that's good coz it means that your nails are still nice and healthy. haha

    @Chie, looks like the TFS one is good... :)

    @Cominica, thanks! Will try that one :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really should use a base coat more often. I never remember until I am finished!!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really should use a base coat more often. I never remember until I am finished!!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  16. me too aya! i stop painting my nails..coz of that stain..poor nails huhuhu, im using CHIC base coat..well,same result like BObbie,im kinda busy so i guest ill have to use BObbie as of now.. :-)
    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my.. you should try the Face shop base coat and top coat. It dosn't make my nails yellow. I've tried caronia and bobbie during my college days, and yes it always give me the yellowy nails.

    Take care hun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. eeek tlga!!u have yellowish nails sis like me din!:) i want to try the whitening thingy sa cutex pero its a bit pricey pero worth nmn daw.:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Try Sally Hansen base coat. It's quite expensive but it's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. TFS basecoat is the best. I used to use the Bobbie one as well then I applied Caronia nail polish, it stained :( For my current mani I used TFS topcoat I retouched my nail, no stains even with Caronia nail polish on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. backlink checker free seo executive backlink service backlink checker

    ReplyDelete
  22. I heard the face shop and etude's are the best! though I haven't tried any of those yet.. And it's a bit pricey din.. :) Or lagyan mu kaya ng nail nutrition coat. P95 ata un sa TFS. Kung maganda lang hands ko, nagpost na ko ng mga nail polish review. I envy you kc my hands are 'maugat' coz I'm so thin.. huhu..  And super looooovvvee your blog.. I even had aseparate folder in my emails ng mga post mu eh.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never miss to apply one esp since tha polishes I use are staining big time :/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just bought the TFS top coat yesterday. Excited to try it! :D Thanks for the suggestion, it really helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bought the TFS one just yesterday :) 

    I loooove your comment! Thank you so much for the support! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I will reply to you as soon as I can :)