CONNECT

Review: San San Soleil Matte Foundation

You might have already seen this foundation in my haul post *here.* I've been using this product since I got it (and that was about two months ago) but not quite regularly. I use different foundations on different days, depending on my mood but I think I've used this one enough to make a review of it. So here goes :)

San San Soleil Matte Foundation
This foundation is one of the 7 items included in San San's Soleil collection, which is their limited edition summer collection. This collection consists of one foundation, three shades of lipstick (one of which I reviewed *here*), and three shades of nail polish.

Description (from San San): Has Vitamins A, C and E. Has SPF 43. Provides excellent makeu-up coverage for blemishes and uneven skin tone to promote a smoother and radiant complexion.

Ingredients: Squalene, titanium dioxide, candelilla wax, methylsilsesquioxane, boron nitride, beeswax, benzoic acid, benzophenone-3, homosalate, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A), ascorbyl palmitate (Vitamin C), tocopherol (Vitamin E), CI 77492, CI 77891, CI 77499.

So firstly, let's talk about the packaging. It's packaged in a squeeze-type tube that has a pump dispenser. The yellow color and the sun print just scream summer, don't they? 


Generally, I find pump dispensers convenient because they offer much more control of the amount of product that is dispensed. The tube contains 30 mL of product. I usually use one full pump to cover my whole face.

Here's a swatch of the foundation on the back of my hand. This product comes in only one shade, by the way, and maybe that's why I think of this foundation more as a BB cream than a foundation. Oh, and the texture is more BB cream-ish than foundation-ish too, if you know what I mean. It has a bit of a thick texture but it doesn't feel heavy on the skin. Due to its texture, you have to spread and blend this quite quickly to avoid uneven application. I like using my Sigma F80 to blend this.

L: Two pumps, unblended
R: Semi-blended
What amazes me about this product is the coverage. As you can see below, it gives medium to heavy matte coverage. Note that I used two pumps for this swatch, which is more than enough to cover my whole face, let alone the back of my hand.

Blended
For comparison, here's my right hand without foundation and my left hand with foundation.

L: Without foundation
R: Left foundation
As you can see, the foundation was able to tone down the yellowness of my skin and even out the color. On my face, it looks like this...

L: Without foundation
R: With foundation (~1-1.5 pumps)
With flash
In these pictures, you can clearly see the coverage that this foundation gives. I have uneven skin tone and some dark areas especially around my eyes, and the foundation does a really good job in concealing those and in evening out my color. Even some of the redness on my cheeks was covered. 

Another thing that I like about this product is that it gives a matte finish. I prefer matte finishes when it comes to foundations because I have combi to oily skin. But with the somewhat dry texture, it is sometimes a bit too dry even for my oily skin so I still use moisturizer prior to application of this foundation.

This foundation keeps my face matte for about 2-3 hours (which is already a good time for me) and lasts on my face for up to 7 hours when topped with powder.

One thing I don't like about this product is that too much product makes me look too white, especially in pictures taken with flash. Bear in mind that this product has quite a high SPF (SPF 43), so it is bound to make you look too white in pictures if you aren't careful with the amount of product you use.

With foundation, powder, blush, etc.
With foundation, without flash

See how it looks just right under natural lighting?

To sum everything up, here's...

What I like about this product:
  • Coverage - can even out my skin tone really well, conceal the dark and even red areas, and give a flawless finish
  • Matte finish - can keep my face matte for about 2 hours 
  • Lasts for up to 7 hours on my face (with powder)
  • Doesn't break me out
  • Has Vitamins A, C and E
  • Has SPF 43 - high SPF comes in handy during uber hot days
  • Convenient packaging
  • Really affordable - priced at 149.75 Php
  • Availability - available in all HBC outlets

What I don't like about this product:
  • Can make me look too white but only when I put on too much product
  • Texture is a bit drier compared to regular foundations that I need to blend it very well
  • Only one shade available

Over-all, I'm quite satisfied with this product. I like the coverage very much but I just have to be careful not too apply too much product. And I get a lot of compliments whenever I use this!

Have you tried this product yet? What do you think of it? How about the regular San San foundations, are they any good? Lemme know! :D


For more information about other HBC products, visit the following pages.

Comments

  1. I wish they available in my country :(
    by the way,you look pretty and fresh in the last pic ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it evened out your skin tone! And that it's matte. Nice review, makes me want to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi aya, is this good for what skintone? what shade are you in mac? would this fit kaya nc20-25?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this brand before but this product looks great!! You look so nice in the pics aya <3 thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't tried San San products yet. This post is making me think. Hurray for cheap and effective prods! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good w/o the flash! It gives such a nice finish, I must agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear, it looks good on you!! how i wish i bought one nung anjan ako....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh im excited to buy this product. I saw this at hbc and was considering of buying this. Now u got me convinced. Im really starting to like sansan a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nisa, thank you! :D

    @Pammy, yeah I really like the coverage so much!

    @King, I dunno my MAC shade eh :(

    @Rakshanda, thanks dear!

    @Janinay, hahaha I go to HBC almost every week and everytime, I end up buying at least one product. San San products are so affordable kasi! :D

    @Rainy Days, right, one of the things I love about it :]

    @Debi, hihi thanks! :D

    @Kai, haha me too! But I still haven't tried the gel liner. I want mine in black pero still OOS eh :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice yung huli mong pic Aya.. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i need to upgrade my foundation.haha thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This foundation is a great shade match for you in natural daylight!
    And I like the coverage it has! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. aaah it has really a matte finish, now I waaant it~~~ >.< thanks for the review anyway =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. great SPF coverage for its affordable price! too bad the shade isn't suitable for my morena skin...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Jenniya, thank youuuuu!

    @Sugar, yey thanks Sugar :)

    @Ching, haha no problem! Hope you found it helpful

    @Popblush, true!!! I just have to avoid harsh lighting. lol

    @Lina, I like that it's matte too! No prob :)

    @Swexie, right! So affordable. And yeah, I was surprised that they only had one shade. Too bad :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh.. nice find! i am in the lookout for a good mattifying foundation, and good thing we have the same skin type! i have read somewhere that it is one of maricar de mesa's (San San endorser) favorite products from them. hope it'll work for me just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The soleil collection really is nice. :D here's my thoughts on their collection :D http://www.lovingsunshine.com/2011/06/loving-soleil.html

    PS i also am amazed by how the liq foundation stays matte a long time :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. i followed you cause i like the way you blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to hear it doesnt make u break out and has nice coverage too! :D
    btw, you looks so fresh in last pikkus ^^

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Snow, this really IS matte! Hope it works well on you too :)

    @Kumiko, yeah! Good thing esp for people like me with oily skin :D And thanks for following! I'm a long-time follower of your blog :)

    @Cominica, thanks dear! I really like the coverage of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks nice on you. I tried this at the store and it looked a little grey at first but blended well. It reminds me of The Face Shop BB Creams.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this sounds promising :) thanks for the review <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice one! it really suites your skin color. so this only means it's too light for me. awesome review sis!

    ReplyDelete
  24. omgosh it looks amazing on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Jackie, true, i thought at first it would me grayish on me but it turned out nicely :)

    @Sara, yey :)

    @Hollie, thanks dear!

    @Lisa, aww thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks amazing on you!!!
    Just looking at the bottle would wake me up in the morning. That's a bright color!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice post! Wow looks impressive and yet it's super affordable. I wish it had more shades, though. Cos I wouldn't want to look too white either. =/

    Btw, thanks for joining my Sigma giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  28. same prob!!!its too visible..i have to use a little amount muna!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Bonnie, true! It's soooo vibrant and it screams SUMMER!

    @Catmare, yeah only one shade :( I hope their regular foundations also have similar coverage... maybe I'll try those next. They have more shades of those eh :)

    @Gie, right! Or else we'll look like mumus. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  30. sana they have more shades for this!ang gnda nuh!perfect for the weather we have!:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Bonnie, true! It's soooo vibrant and it screams SUMMER!

    @Catmare, yeah only one shade :( I hope their regular foundations also have similar coverage... maybe I'll try those next. They have more shades of those eh :)

    @Gie, right! Or else we'll look like mumus. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice yung huli mong pic Aya.. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ohh im excited to buy this product. I saw this at hbc and was considering of buying this. Now u got me convinced. Im really starting to like sansan a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haven't tried San San products yet. This post is making me think. Hurray for cheap and effective prods! :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi aya, is this good for what skintone? what shade are you in mac? would this fit kaya nc20-25?

    ReplyDelete
  36. aaah it has really a matte finish, now I waaant it~~~ >.< thanks for the review anyway =D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I will reply to you as soon as I can :)