CONNECT

DIY: How to Restore Broken Powder Makeup

In this post, I'll be sharing the DIY technique that I always use to repair my broken powder makeup.


I've broken quite a few powders already, and I was able to restore most of them using this technique. Why there's a need to press the powder again, you may ask. I, for one, think that broken or loose powder is messier to use and more wasteful because once the powder is loose already, I tend to pick up more product with my brush and end up tapping so much excess off.

To restore your broken powder makeup, you're gonna need:
  • your broken powder makeup, of course!
  • rubbing alcohol
  • small container (if the powder pan is too small)
  • spatula


Steps:

1. Transfer the powder to a slightly larger container if you think that the pan is too small. Using your spatula, break down any solid pieces of the powder remaining.


2. Add just a few drops of alcohol to the powder and mix well until it forms a paste. Don't add too much alcohol or else the powder will take longer to dry. You just need enough amount to form a paste so you can smooth the powder out.


3. Once you feel that the paste is free of lumps, transfer it back to the powder pan, then smooth the surface out using the flat side of the spatula. 


4. Let the alcohol evaporate by leaving the pan uncovered for a few minutes. You can check whether or not the powder is already dry by touching or by smelling it. If there's still a strong alcohol smell, leave the pan uncovered for a few more minutes. Clean up the edges of the container while waiting.


And that's it! You have just restored your broken powder makeup. It's pretty easy. I'm so happy I was able to fix my eyeshadow because the shade is just gorgeous <3

Looks new again! NOT! Haha. It doesn't look perfect, of course,
but it now looks decent enough to use :)

This is a Pinkies Collection eyeshadow, by the way. Haul post *here.*

This technique can also work for other kinds of broken powder makeup like blushes and bronzers as long as they're not one of those baked, marble or multicolor types. In fact, I also used this method in restoring the ELF bronzer that I broke.

Finished product

I hope you found (or will find) this DIY helpful! Let me know if you have any DIY concerns and I'll see what I can do for you :)

Comments

  1. thanks for sharing this aya dear! i am too lazy to do anything like this LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! and where did u learned that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that too! On my powder foundies nga lang since I have this knack of breaking powder foundies. Haha! :P

    I only use Isopropyl alcohol though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sugar, haha! I didn't want to waste the product so I decided to press it again :D

    @Ar-Ar, thanks! I've heard so many people say that we can use alcohol to press powders so I decided to give it a try and see if it would work. And it did. Hehehe

    @Pammy, haha! I always drop my compact too. Rubbing alcohol can be isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. I just used whatever's available. Hehehe

    @Fashioneggplant, thanks dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thats amazing in always just end up throwing my broken shattered make away.. I'll try this in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa, hope this helps :)

    @Jes, glad it is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. But I hear sometimes alcohol might mess up the formulation of powdered cosmetics. Is this true? :|

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip! Now I know what I'd do next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. another awesome DIY! it's a good thing though that I don't break my pressed powders. But I'll definitely do this if it happens. Thanks for sharing this is really super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loved to do it when i was in hk =D!
    1. i could use the recovered product again
    2. it was actually fun to do it, like doing a mini lab LOL

    but it sucks that i couldnt find rubbing alcohol in melbourne =_=... ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Elaine, I read somewhere that some have different formula and don't take in alcohol as well as others do. But I guess as long as you put in just minimal amount of alcohol, your makeup will be fine. So far I haven't ruined any of mine yet :/

    @Catmare, no prob! :D

    @Hollie, aww glad you found it helpful! You're so lucky you haven't broken any yet. Haha :)

    @Liz, true true! I was sort of reliving my chem lab days when I did this DIY. :D And I always though rubbing alcohol is everywhere :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! Thanks for sharing, Aya. This would be very helpful.

    Btw, I'm Em. New follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome Em! Thanks for following :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you get to be such a genius???

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually had this problem too and I did basically the same thing you did, except I cut out a piece of hard plastic the size of the blush and used that to press on the product. I still can use the blush intact now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great tip, I seriously have thrown so many powders away when this happens. Thanks for the tip, definitely following now. You have very intersting posts.

    xoDale
    I have a fashion blog here in San Francisco
    www.savvyspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Bonnie, :D

    @Charlene, it's really helpful, right? Glad you were able to save you blush :)

    @Dale, glad you find it helpful:) Thank you for following dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great tip! done something like this, very helpful to have an alcohol around for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've done this a few times! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Sloperation, totally works, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow i totally am learning a lot from u today! Hmm Im gonna try this as well. Tnx tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Kai, yey glad you find it helpful :D This is the product of my clumsiness - a DIY post. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Kai, yey glad you find it helpful :D This is the product of my clumsiness - a DIY post. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've done this a few times! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Bonnie, :D

    @Charlene, it's really helpful, right? Glad you were able to save you blush :)

    @Dale, glad you find it helpful:) Thank you for following dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a great tip, I seriously have thrown so many powders away when this happens. Thanks for the tip, definitely following now. You have very intersting posts.

    xoDale
    I have a fashion blog here in San Francisco
    www.savvyspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I actually had this problem too and I did basically the same thing you did, except I cut out a piece of hard plastic the size of the blush and used that to press on the product. I still can use the blush intact now :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. another awesome DIY! it's a good thing though that I don't break my pressed powders. But I'll definitely do this if it happens. Thanks for sharing this is really super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tip! Now I know what I'd do next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. But I hear sometimes alcohol might mess up the formulation of powdered cosmetics. Is this true? :|

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Lisa, hope this helps :)

    @Jes, glad it is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome! and where did u learned that?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just tried this! (http://supercalipaigealistic.tumblr.com/post/13971725394/just-restored-my-pulverized-press-powder)

    Thanks for sharing! You're a Press-Powder-Saver! :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for this tutorial!  My 96 year old mom goes through a ton of face powder - she is needing a new compact every other week or so - thanks to you I have reclaimed one entire new compact with broken bits from her old ones!!!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Glad to know you found this helpful! :D

    Thanks for the post :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awww thank you! Glad I could help :)))

    ReplyDelete
  37. Someone help! I added too much rubbing alcohol and now its super hard! Will this evaporate??? how can i fix it?? I love this blush soo much and its discontinued! ;( 

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Aya! Thanks for this. Great help! I posted a link about this in my blog http://lipstickandpaper.blogspot.com/2013/04/rescue-my-broken-pressed-powder.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Aya! Found your site when I was looking for a remedy for my broken pressed powder and blogged about it. I linked your site my a blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. thanks for this aya! will do this if i break one of my blushes or eyeshadows dati kasi i throw it kaagad. lol

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've always found this method useful as I used to always break my face powder. I wonder though, does it work for loose mineral eyeshadows too if i want to put them in a pan?


    A Hint of Sunlight

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I will reply to you as soon as I can :)