CONNECT

DIY: How to Repair Broken Lipsticks


Lipsticks splitting up in two... I just hate that! Who doesn't, right? Do you have any broken lipsticks hidden deep inside your drawers? Don't throw them away just yet. You can still save them. 

I just recently broke one of mine while I was swatching it. Clumsy me. I was thinking whether or not gluing or taping the lipstick back on would work. Yes, I seriously did think that. So I immediately googled 'fix broken lipstick.' For this post, I'm gonna share to you how to fix your broken lipsticks. 

Putting the two pieces back together is basically just like making a candle stand on a surface firmly. The basic principle is that you need to melt the bottom part of the broken lipstick and attach it back to its original position.

You're gonna need your lipstick (of course), a candle (or a lighter) and some matches.


1. Twist the tube to its fullest. 


2. Take the broken piece of lipstick and gently place it near the flame. Your goal is to melt only the bottom part of the lipstick. Just melt, don't burn. Do the same thing to the top part of the piece that is still in the tube. In my case, I didn't bother to melt the other piece because my lipstick split at the very base so placing the it near the flame would just melt the white plastic rim.

Note: The process of making lipsticks involves heating in the first place. So as long as you don't use high heat in melting, your lippie will be fine. Just keep the flame low to avoid ruining the ingredients of your lipstick. (Thanks for asking, Pammy!) 


3. When you see that the bottom part is melting already, immediately attach it back to the other piece that's still in the tube. Gently hold it steady for a few seconds, then let the tube stand upright and slowly retract the lipstick back inside. It's important that you make sure the lipstick is nice and melted so that it will stick firmly to the other piece.


4. Place the cap and allow the lipstick to cool in a refrigerator. 


5. Make sure the lipstick has completely cooled down before taking it out of the fridge and using it.

If you have a totally-smushed lipstick that you still want to repair, what you can do is melt the entire lipstick, place the melt in a lipstick mold and let it cool and harden in the fridge. After it hardens, attach it back to its original position using the steps above. 

Here's what my lipstick looked like after attaching the pieces back together.

Ignore the dent, it's irrelevant.
As you can see, it is not as neat as it was before I broke it. If you want a neater finish, shape the lipstick using the flame. 


Good as new... or maybe not! But the ultimate question is, did this little DIY work for my lipstick? The answer is...

Yes, it did! Although the lipstick is not very firm as I want it to be, it's still pretty much useable! :)

So lesson learned: careful when swatching lipsticks. Hahaha! But sometimes no matter how careful we are, something unexpected happens. We just have to learn how to deal with whatever that is :D

Reference article *here.*

Comments

  1. This is clever Aya. Didn't know this could work with fixing lippies. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great tut to fix broken lipstick, I haven't had one of mine break yet but this is something to keep in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aya, looks good! I hate it when my lippies break especially when it's still quite long!!! Sayang. good thing you've given us a clue on how to fix it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww poor lippie.. But you fixed it :) Great work!

    Yeah, I am always careful when applying lippies. Its happened to me before :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I never knew you could do that! this is really interesting! thank you for sharing!:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay...thanks for the info that is really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this! OMG gotta follow this steps to fix my broken lippie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever. But won't the flame have any effect on the lipstick itself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Yen, thanks but I just also discovered this from the net :)

    @Che, yep. Definitely something to remember. You're so lucky you haven't broken any of yours yet. Hehe

    @Char, no prob. Just sharing what I've found out :) I didn't even twist the lipstick to its fullest pero naputol pa rin. Hahaha

    @PopBlush, I'm so happy I was able to fix it. :D

    @Beauty Addict, you're welcome! Hope you found this helpful :D

    @Ahne, no prob. Glad to know that :D

    @AsianBeauty, ohhh yey, let me know if it will work for you :)

    @Pammy, the process of making lipstick involves heating in the first place so as long as you don't use high heat, your lippie will be fine. Thanks for asking that, by the way! Will mention that in the post :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah! Pano ka ba maglagay ng lipstick na natanggal ng buo? =)))

    Good tip though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mich, hahaha! Hindi ko na nga inextend to its fullest pero nabali parin eh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't even know this was possible ...

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ive broken so many! thanks for the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Bonnie, so glad I found out about this :)

    @Tara, no prob! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I've never broken a lipstick before (thank goodness), which I can't believe because I'm so clumsy! Touch wood, haha.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial!!! :) I've swatched the hell out a lipstick once and broke it. Instead of putting it back together like you did, I melted it into a jar and used it as a lip balm :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. so cool...I just wonder kung pwede sa NYX kasi it is a bit softer than EB... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome DIY sis! I usually just put them back on the tube and use them like they're not broken...LOL... I'll definitely try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Chuui, lucky you! Hahaha

    @Rainy Days and Lattes, that's cool! I might try to do that with my softer lipsticks :D

    @DeBi, I don't know about that coz I don't have NYX lippies. But I also have another "broken" one that I want to repair but it's quite soft din kaya di ko maayos ng ganito :/ But I think as long as they are hard to the touch, they'll be fine :\

    @Hollie,no prob! That's what I did before but knowing myself, I knew I

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never had a lipstick snap on me yet, but if it ever does I know what to do now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Fashion to Go, oh I hope you won't have to do this. Hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a good tutorial! I broke a lipstick once recently while swatching... It broke in a weird way though and it didn't snap perfectly at the base like yours. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Susalie, thanks :) I hope you can still repair it :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have the exact same broken lipstick (EB Skin)... Will try this method! thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Girlpuyat, mine's in Mauvey. You're welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. My lipstick broke the other day. Thank goodness for this post, haha. Buo na ulit sya ngayon XD

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Strangevision, yey Ma'am glad to know this post is helpful! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Girlpuyat, mine's in Mauvey. You're welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. My lipstick broke the other day. Thank goodness for this post, haha. Buo na ulit sya ngayon XD

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Chuui, lucky you! Hahaha

    @Rainy Days and Lattes, that's cool! I might try to do that with my softer lipsticks :D

    @DeBi, I don't know about that coz I don't have NYX lippies. But I also have another "broken" one that I want to repair but it's quite soft din kaya di ko maayos ng ganito :/ But I think as long as they are hard to the touch, they'll be fine :\

    @Hollie,no prob! That's what I did before but knowing myself, I knew I

    ReplyDelete
  31. so cool...I just wonder kung pwede sa NYX kasi it is a bit softer than EB... :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome DIY sis! I usually just put them back on the tube and use them like they're not broken...LOL... I'll definitely try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. this so cool. very easy and clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. i have this color.. hehehe! I love EB..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I will reply to you as soon as I can :)