CONNECT

DIY: Make Your Own Lip Scrub Part 1 - Sugar Scrub

Yes, I did make my own lip scrub mainly because I had nothing else better to do. I have never used a lip scrub before but I do exfoliate my lips by gently brushing them with a soft toothbrush. Exfoliating the lips helps you remove dry skin from the lips, making them softer. There are many ways of exfoliating your lips. You can use a soft toothbrush, a soft washcloth, lip scrubs, etc. I know you already know this but I'm still gonna say it anyway... You can actually make your own lip scrub at home using just a few simple ingredients! Examples of these homemade lip scrubs are the following. 
  • Sugar scrub
  • Honey scrub
  • Lemon juice scrub
  • Baking soda scrub
For my first lip scrub post, I'm gonna show you how to make a sugar scrub.

Homemade sugar scrub
It's really simple. You only need olive oil and sugar. The sugar acts as an abrasive that helps remove dead skin from the lips, while the olive oil keeps your lips moisturized.

Olive oil and sugar
1. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to 1 teaspoon of olive oil. I used muscovado sugar which I learned has more nutrients than regular refined sugar.


2. Mix well until it forms a coarse paste.


3. Make sure your lips are clean before application. Gently rub the mixture on your lips and let it sit for 1 to 2 minutes. You can just use your clean fingers or a toothbrush to scrub the lips with the paste.

4. Wipe off with a soft cloth or rinse with warm water.

5. Apply your favorite lip balm to keep the lips moisturized. 

6. Transfer any excess scrub to a tight lid container and store in a refrigerator. Make sure not to get water in it  to avoid bacterial growth.

Homemade sugar scrub
Important tips: Do not over-exfoliate. That may just make your lips crack even more. You can exfoliate 1 to 2 times a week. Also, do not make too much lip scrub at once. Homemade scrubs like this do not contain preservatives, therefore they cannot be stored for very long. You can keep your scrub for about two weeks at the most.

And there you have it... your very own homemade sugar scrub. I hope you found this post helpful. Stay tuned for the second part of my lip scrub series. Next one will be about honey scrubs.

Comments

  1. i am guilty of over exfoliating my lips and it hurts! x( thanks for sharing this btw. :3 i'll do this when i run out of lip scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yan yan. can't wait for the honey scrub. hahaha. madami kaming honey dito! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sugar sugar, you're welcome! :) Sometimes I do too coz I want my lips to be super soft O_O

    @Anon, post coming up soon :) Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing :)

    like you, i also exfoliate my lips by brushing using my toothbrush. and yeah, sometimes i forget to exfoliate. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @REINA, it's the easiest way, right? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love DIY posts! :) I've been meaning to try make my own, but I've never got round to it...I look forward to your honey scrub post :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very helpful. I've never tried exfoliating my lips before. I should try this. by the way, aside from this DIY lip scrub, do you have a lip scrub you can recommend ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Chuui, it's coming up in a couple of days :D

    @Hollie, glad you found it helpful :) Uhm I haven't used a lip scrub (other than this one) before so I really can't recommend one right now but I heard Ellana's is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made my own lip scrub before and I definitely want to try out this recipe - thanks for the tip on brown sugar!! :)

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. @R., you're welcome! I just found out about that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I use that as a body scrub too? -Cream Puff

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Cream Puff, I think you can. You can add milk and honey and other stuff, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing, this was really helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great recipe for a homemade lip scrub. When you are in a bind, you can also add a little bit of sugar with your favorite organic lip balm and use it as an exfoliation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will try this, So far petroleum jelly palang natry ko + sugar :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I will reply to you as soon as I can :)